Sunday, November 27, 2011

Emergency Room Scarf

UPDATE: I'm going to get my crochet hook out this evening and stitch this up to see where the directions might not be clear. Check back.

It's time to share the pattern for the Emergency Room Scarf. Why is it called that? Because I completed the piece while waiting with the Other Mother in the Emergency Room. Actually, I only had a small ball of yarn with me so it became an Emergency Room neck warmer.

Do you crochet or knit? Do you want to learn? There are plenty of online craft courses that can show you how. Like I said before, the rhythmic nature of the work is very relaxing. Those who are crocheters or knitters, I encourage you to go to the library and get a book with different stitches. If you have the basic stitch pattern, you can create any number of things. I used one of these stitch designs for this scarf.

Photobucket

EMERGENCY ROOM SCARF

American crochet terms.

Yarn - DK weight
Crochet hook - H

V stitch - dc, ch 1, dc in same stitch

Shell stitch - 5 dc in same stitch


CH 17.

Row 1: Dc in 5th ch from hook. Skip next 2 ch, shell in next ch, skip 2 ch, V-stitch in next ch, skip 2 ch, shell in next ch, skip 2 ch, V-stitch in last ch. Ch 3, turn.

Row 2: 2 dc in first V-stitch, V-stitch in top of next shell, shell in next V-stitch, V-stitch in top of next shell. 3 dc in last V-stitch. Ch 4, turn.

Row 3: Dc in same stitch (counts as a V-stitch), shell in next V-stitch, V-stitch in next shell, shell in next V-stitch. V-stitch in top of ch from previous row. Ch 3, turn.

Repeat row 2 and 3 till you reach desired length.

Finish off, weave in ends.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You can use any size yarn, just adjust the crochet hook to match.

Have fun with this.

6 comments:

Terri said...

It is a lovely scarf, but I don't crochet well. I haven't tried in the last 35 years or so. It's time I need to find first.
Hugs,

Tess said...

Thanks Suzanne! I'll give it a try. I have a crochet bag sitting next to my chair in the living room, but the blanket I'm working on is lacking inspiration.

Yours at the Menger,

Tess

Vee said...

Have been sitting with you for a few minutes relaxing with my crochet hook and old yarn. I ran into troubles on the third row when it said that I should shell in the next V-stitch, but I had 3 double crochet. I'm going to look more closely at your photo and try to see where I went wrong. This is a sweet pattern.

Lisa D. said...

I like to crochet. It brings back fond memories of time spent with my grandma. My grandparents would come stay with us for 2-3 weeks at a time once or twice a year. Grandma taught me to crochet and to knit, but I just couldn't catch on to the knitting. I didn't learn how to read a pattern until several years later though. Now I've made a few afghans, scarves and hats for gifts and made each of my girls a poncho.
My grandma-in-law knits and she makes socks, toques, and slippers mostly. She had 16 children and now has a family of over 100, with grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc. We have a family reunion every 5 years, and she makes sure she has enough knitting done for every family member to choose something they would like.
Can't wait for the neck-warmer to arrive!

Vee said...

Have just spent some more time with you. =) Printer is on the fritz and I'm not handwriting until I decide if it works. It does! I must have miscounted or something. Anyway, I'm off to get my pen. this is going to be great fun.

Crescent View Bed and Breakfast said...

I posted this on Pinterest, so hopefully you will get more traffic.