Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Towanda Lives!

There's a phrase that I often use when women are lamenting the fact that they're turning fifty or when they're having a meltdown or a mini-meltdown.

"At 50 the madwoman in the attic breaks loose, stomps down the stairs and sets fire to the house. She won't be imprisoned any longer." - Erica Jong

This quote speaks to that moment when you brain just snaps. It's when your child asks you if you got the grass stains out of the field hockey uniform, or when your husband forgets to tell you that he's invited 12 co-workers for dinner on Saturday night.

It's the Towanda moment from Fried Green Tomatoes. It's the epiphany, the tipping point.

You feel as if hot lava is rising in your soul, not realizing that there is hot lava rising. Did you forget about menopause?

You turn and look and everyone instantly shakes with fear at the crazy sparkle in your eyes.

"Everybody outta the pool", you hollar. At this point you grab your handbag and run to the nearest Curves to sign up for their special offer. And then you head over to Starbucks for a Pumpkin Latte. The teenager barista fears for his life as he tries to explain that Pumpkin Latte is only a seasonal offering.

"OK, well give me anything with chocolate."

Sometime later you return home and your family is standing around like deer in the headlights.

Their eyes dart back and forth and someone whispers, "What happened to mom?"

She got possessed. She got religion. She got into the voodoo juju juice.

No. That's not it. It's very simple really. Mom turned fifty and the madwoman was let loose!

NOTE: One of my favorite bloggers, Vee has opened her apron. Check it out. I'm really honored because she has awarded me a "Bodacious Blogger" award. Once again I'm feeling like the dad in The Christmas Story. Thanks Vee.

Tomorrow we're going to try to make butter. I use the word "try" because lately things are quite going the way I planned. (Look in the archives for the very ugly pound cake).

6 comments:

C.C. said...

I'm another of Vee's bodacious blogger award recipients and I wanted to drop in and say "hi"! I love this post! I am an early arriver (not yet 50) to the wonderful world of menopause and can certainly relate to those Towanda moments. The other day, I saw a 50-something woman driving in 32-degree temperatures with all of her windows rolled down and I really wanted to shout to her, "I'm with you sister!" But that wouldn't fly in the DC suburbs! Take care!

Vee said...

Ahhhh, I know it all too well. I love Towanda moments, but they are not appreciated by most. And how I love the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes." Haven't seen it in a few years and I know it's in the house somewhere. Thanks for the fun post!

KatKit13 said...

(Have you ever read any Kris Radish??)

Butter's easy. Just keep it moving. No salt til done. I used to make it with my afterschool class at the daycare, to go with the fresh baked bread we'd made the day before. :)

Suzanne said...

Please to meet the other bodacious babes!!

Vee- go dig out that movie. Do you also have "Batteries Not Included"? That's one of my favorites with Jessica Tandy.

KatKit - I think we're going to be successful this time. Keep your fingers crossed! I haven't read Kris Radish, but I've written it down to check out later.

Thirkellgirl said...

Your Towanda Lives post is one of the best things I've read in, well, forever. I'm *only turning 48, but I'm sending my first one off to college in August, the clock is ticking on homeschooling the other one, the elderly relatives are dying off at a great clip, and, well, let me just say it again: PROFOUND post!

kansasrose said...

Your blog and writings are delightful! I just discovered you through precious Corey of Tongue and Cheek. Thought I would say Hi. I turned the big 50 2 Aprils ago..and oh how this post resonates in me! I needed Towanda this morning in dealing with my youngest's high school. I've been trying to cool down ever since. The old icy farm pond is lookin' very appealing. I can realte to so much of what you write about rural midwestern life. I live on a farm in flat Kansas. I also enjoyed reading your pickle produce recipe and crafts...thanks. I'm adding you to my blog favorites. :) Jenny