Friday, March 21, 2008

Thrifting Ebb and Flow

The local Goodwill store is a modern facility built in the last couple of years. The most innovative feature of the store is the drive-through donation area. When you pull up to the door an employee appears to carry your items inside. If you put everything in the trunk and pop it open from inside, you never have to leave the comfort of your car. That's especially important when there's 4-6 inches of snow predicted on March 21. Here's the scene at 5:30 a.m. The farmers opts for the broom method of snow removal.

Photobucket

The other important aspect of this particular location is that it's centered in the middle of some very affluent housing developments, which means the donations include some high-end merchandise, like Dooney and Bourke handbags.....

Photobucket

One of the Dooney & Bourkes was looking a bit worse for wear, but it was obvious they owner never heard of leather cleaner. Handbags are $1.99 but recently the store has employed someone who is knowledgable in spotting the higher items in the store and they are priced accordingly. Currently there's a Chanel bag in the locked case that I'm salivating over.

Unfortunately there's a strange occurrence that twarts my efforts to divest myself of "stuff" and unclutter my home. Each time I drop off boxes of donations my car automatically drives around the front, parks and shuts off the engine. What's a girl to do?? Obediently I go inside and look around, and buy more stuff! Fortunately I've never bought my own stuff back. There was a close call one time.

And so I play the ebb and flow game. Up to this point in time I'm winning. Five boxfuls in,

Photobucket

one boxful out.

Photobucket

And you know what they say, "One man's junk is another man's treasure."

For all of my blogger favorites who are now hosting "Easter Parades" and blog entries filled with flowers and bursting with springtime....you'll understand if I stay away for awhile. Although your images are lovely and words filled with the hope of spring, I'm just a little cranky about the spring thing right now. Sigh.

NOTE: The Postcard Project was a success. If you didn't get involved the first time around, don't worry, there will be another chance sometime in the future. Thanks to Nancy who reciprocated and sent me a card from Disneyworld. Thanks Nancy.


Tomorrow we're going to attempt to bake a cute bunny cake. Attempt is the operative word because you remember what happened with the fancy tree cake. See you tomorrow. Wear your best apron and help me out.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Oh, I laughed out loud at the thought of buying back your own donations!

I'm so sorry for the snow! We have been having temps in the 30's anad 40's, and lots of high winds. Not snow, but still not spring-like either...

Happy Easter!
xoxo,
mary

Aunt Jo said...

I'm sorry you got snow. How stinky!

I understand the ebb and flow of stuff coming in and out of this house all too well. Like you, I drop off a box and end up carrying another box of different stuff home.

Oh well, it's for a good cause right?

Carletta said...

...and look at the little gems you came back out with!
Must say I love that drive up and drop notion - never seen one - but, I'd have to learn to drive away!

Vee said...

You make me laugh! At least, you're actually taking the donations to the store. I'm leaving them piled in a corner of the garage stairwell where I can go "buy them back" cheap.

It's coooooolllldddddd here. The wind is howling at about 50mph and the temp is below freezing. Wonder what that makes the windchill factor...no, I don't wonder. I can live without knowing.

I'll be back to see the cake. If it's too cute and too easy for words, I might be persuaded to bake it. It won't take much. I'm highly suggestable.

KatKit13 said...

OMGOSH! That spiral bound cookbook - you will LOVE it. It's one of my all time favorites. Try the Valentine's cookie recipe. Just simply perfect. I've adapted the flavors in the recipe to my hand decorated cookies.

It's an excellent cookbook. I've had mine for years.

(and I'm coveting those pillows!)