Monday, May 12, 2008

The Problem with Grandchildren

I have a problem with grandchildren. The problem is I don't have any! My kids are not cooperating in this regard. What they don't understand is that when that happens I'll quit pinching their cheeks and pinch the grandchildren's cheeks. It can be quite embarassing when you're standing their with your new girlfriend and your mom launches forward aiming for that right cheek.

The fact that neither one of them is married or even close doesn't deter me from my preparations. I don't eat McDonald's, but anyone that does has been instructed to order a Happy Meal and save the toy for my collection. They are further ordered to alternate between girl & boy Happy Meal. My miniature McDonald's Madame Alexander doll is upstairs. I couldn't find it for the photo shoot.

Photobucket

I save my children's clothing from a line I produced and sold in the 1980's. What are the chances that they'll name their children with the same names?

Photobucket

Here's a nice little collection of stuffed toys. They're hid in a safe place, far from the Chihuahuas.

Photobucket

Here's a Cub Scout uniform all ready to go. I'd just have to remove the badges.

Photobucket

The other day a newspaper was mailed to our home. I've never seen this thing before but the headline on the front page reads, "Welcoming a grandchild of a different race." Then there's a small headline underneath, "Tips for helping the transition." And there's more, "Positive language is important."

Well, yeah. If my kids come through the front door with a grandchild of a different race, positive language will not be a problem. I'll say,


Photobucket

12 comments:

Vee said...

They'll arrive right on schedule, have no fear of that! Sometimes I fret over my daughter's apparent decision to go through life alone; therefore, I understand your concern somewhat. My son is thirty so having a two and a one year old is seven years later than what his parents did. I think it's good to wait a bit as he's a very good and attentive dad. (Not that his parents weren't good ones or anything.) Kids are just waiting longer these days.

Love all your collections...you'll definitely be prepared!

BittersweetPunkin said...

LOL!! You were so smart to save that Boy Scout jersey...they are EXPENSIVE! Thanks for the chuckle...hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!
Hugs,
Robin

Sandy said...

Ahh, great post. Patience is good, uh? LOL.
Well written and made me smile.

Rue said...

Is it too early to prepare now? My kids are only are 18 and 12 ;)

I think grand-kids will be a whole lot more fun, don't you? Not that I don't love my kids, but I won't have to deal with the repercussions of spoiling them and feeding them cake for breakfast LOL

I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!
rue

Anonymous said...

Grandchildren are the best. I thought I'd never get to be a Nana and then (finally) it happened. They are now 8 and 5...they are more fun than cracker jacks and pinwheels....definitely worth waiting for!!

My friend was certain she would be doddering by the time she had grand youngin's and now she has 9...and granny roller blades with them.

Hang in there...you won't believe the joy!

RoeH said...

You'll love them when they come. They are much more fun than the real kids are/were. I mean really!

Anonymous said...

Keep the faith. Our eldest, at age 50, just fathered his first child and he's an absolute miracle. Our daughter has three grown children and never enjoyed having the blessing of marriage or someone to help out with the children. We never know how things are going to turn out, but when it happens, it's just right and it sounds as though you're very well prepared to be a doting grandmama.

C.C. said...

When we arrived home with our adopted child of a different race, both sets of parents welcomed him as if we had made him ourselves. That warm welcome set the tone for years of love and fun with the grandparents. That's so great that you are saving toys and making plans. You will be an awesome grandma!

life in red shoes said...

I love it! I feel the same way. I tend to overnurture every child in the neighborhood. They come to my house and I have a big basket of toys and books. My freezer is full of popcicles and I have a jar on the counter filled with treats! I can't wait to be a Grandma. I only hope that the lessons I have learned as a Mom will help me a great one!

Anonymous said...

I do believe you are doing perfect grandmother preparation. And, I like the name Evan.

life in red shoes said...

I wish I could help you with the tile! Also, what is the farmer going to do in Mexico?

Suzanne said...

Vee - I know, I'm trying to be patient but we were older parents ourselves so time feels like it's running out!

Punkin - I'm banking on the fact that my kids will be happy I saved that Boy Scout uniform.

Sandy - Patience, my new virtue.

Rue - Certainly you cannot be the mom of an 18 year old. Say it isn't so. I think grandkids will be way more fun. You can always send them home with the parents, remember?

Patsy - I'm counting on it to come true for me. Just not right now, because no one's married yet!

Lucy - I'm believing what you say!

Just Plain Jane....a father at 50!! Hooray for him. I always admired women who were able to raise kids as single moms. Don't know if I could have cut it.

C.C.- Gosh I sure hope so.

Red Shoes - Your house sounds like so much fun!!!

Beverly - I'm trying to be prepared. Thanks, we fell in love with the name Evan.

Red Shoes - Wish you could help also. Each box of 13 tiles weighs 54 lbs.!!! Stay tuned tomorrow when I reveal the farmer's Mexico trip.