Friday, June 6, 2008

Battle Gear

Today I'm choosing what I call battle gear, a subtle power outfit for the purpose of doing some business with the bank. I'd much rather be going to the dentist for a root canal, but unfortunately I'm being called upon to grease the wheels of a re-fi.

Small town banks are a joy to work with because everyone knows everyone and there's a perfect level of backslapping and "hey gal" that allows the wheels to turn just perfectly. But this is a little-bit-bigger bank that believes it must deliver some "attitude" to be taken seriously.

Seriously, they're wrong.

I've brushed up on the training course that was provided by four years of working with Maggie, my Puerto Rican friend who was the undeniable queen of assertiveness. I've picked out my power suit.....well as powerful as you can get living 9 miles from anything. The banker doesn't need to know that the Norton McNaughton jacket and Laura Ashley shell were purchased at the Goodwill.

Shoes, shoes, I have no black power pumps. Oh well, I don't remember how to walk in them anyway. Beige suede flats will just have to do the job. And for effect I'm going to wear the 2-carat Princess cut cubic zirconia. The one that fooled my neighbor Donna, the woman who knows all about diamonds. Omega chain or no omega chain. Nah, I don't feel like walking back upstairs.

How much of our lives are spent in contemplation of clothing? How many hours do we paw through the closet looking for just the right combination and just the right accessory?

I think I'm going to totally go back the to Yoko Ono method, filling my closet with all black clothing. I'll be Goth to the max. I'll have all black shoes also. So easy. Except....someone told me that every black is a slightly different shade.

Curses, foiled again!

8 comments:

life in red shoes said...

Good luck with the bankers! My closet is filled with white shirts, a few pair of jeans, and black and khaki pants.I throw in a splash of red here and there for punch. Oh, and of course, red shoes.Several pair of those!

BittersweetPunkin said...

I think my problem is I don't put ENOUGH thought into what I am going to wear...LOL. Most of my wardrobe came from GW too...
I hope all goes well for you,
Robin

Vee said...

Oh lawd, I have to go through this soon. Thanks for leading the way. I'll have to get some black pumps and a cubic zirconia quick.

Best wishes with the bank!

life in red shoes said...

Daer Suzanne, I have tagged you. Check my site for details.

Suzanne said...

Red Shoes - You know, I think you're on to something there. I need RED. I need some RED SHOES for sure. I have got a cool pair of high heeled strappy shoes that are a faux raspberry snakeskin, but I need out-and-out RED. I think I'm going with your color scheme...white, black, khaki, denim blue and RED.

Punkin - Everything went good. Thanks for the good vibes. I don't give tons of thought to what I'm wearing unless it's a cocktail party.

Vee - Yes! Go shopping tomorrow. It went fine. It's just with all the foreclosures and stuff the banks are getting are requiring all kinds of stupid stuff.

OH.....I've been tagged again. No problem, I went and checked and it's a good one. The only thing is, I feel sorry for my readers when I've been tagged because I tend to go on and on and on and on.

- Suzanne

life in red shoes said...

Looks like I need to pay a visit to that Grammar Nazi Lady!

Paula B. said...

I tend to favor black...and also red and denim. I consider it my 'working wardrobe'.

and yes, there is an amazing array of black tones. Who knew?

And, worse, don't forget that BROWN has become the new black. I look awful in brown, so I guess I will simply declare true black a "timeless classic" and ignore the fashion trend.

Rue said...

Hi Suzanne!!

I have missed you sweet lady :)

It took me forever to work my way over here. I leave town and I can hardly keep up with it all. I'll tell my brother not to do that again, so I can keep up ;)

Thank you for worrying about me and for all those complements! Remind me to contact you when I feel chunky ;)

As for this post... I always wear black or at least try too. I feel that I look slimmer. Do I? No, but I feel that way :)

hugs,
rue