Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Morning After the Night Before

What do you think? Doesn't he look like he's been on a bender?

Photobucket

Looking hung over and with a leg bandaged, the dog has obviously gotten into some kind of scrape. (The pressure bandage is actually protecting his IV line) Here's the story:

Photobucket

It reads:

A chihuahua from rural Kane County has been released on bond after spending a night behind bars after a drunken brawl. The owner returned home on Sunday afternoon to discover that Pancho, a tan colored 12 pound chihuahua had managed to gain access to a 9 oz. bag of Dove dark chocolate Valentine hearts. The dog proceeded to unwrap the foil off each chocolate heart and consume them while his 6 lb. brother Cisco looked on in horror.

"Don't eat 'em man," the second chihuahua admonished. "You're gonna get real sick."

Pancho refused to listen to the advice of this brother and when his owner returned home she found him in a drunken state, burning up with fever. Only a trip to the emergency veterinary hospital (on a Sunday night) saved him from more serious complications.

After having his stomach repeatedly filled with saline solution to induce vomiting and being forced to ingest activated charcoal, Pancho reportedly swore off any further drunken chocoalte binges.

And, his brother Cisco has claimed the right to say, "I told you so man."

He was behind bars - behind the bars of a kennel in the 24 hour emergency vets office. Chocolate and dogs don't mix. Dark chocolate and small dogs is a potentially deadly combination. It was lucky for us that we have an emergency vet nearby and luckier still that our 6 pound chihuahua didn't join in in the chocolate pig-out because it would have probably been lethal for him.

Valentines Day is coming up. Remember to keep the chocolates in a location that even a Houdini dog won't be able to access.

I'm exhausted. The dogs are resting comfortably and now it's my turn.

NOTE: It's not a real newspaper story, although on a slow news day in our community it just might be! This is the result of something very cool called the NEWSPAPER GENERATOR. Try it.

23 comments:

Becky said...

Oh my goodness!! What a time you had. I had always heard that chocolate was a big no-no for doggies, but really hadn't heard of an actual incident. So sorry it had to be YOUR incident! :) Glad it had a positive outcome. Don't you wonder what in the world kept Cisco from eating some?! One would think they would be anxious to be "partners in crime"!!!! Becky

Susan said...

Oh my gosh, I am sorry if I have to laugh at your dog's expression. Naughty, naughty, doggie! So thankful it turned out well.

Doreen said...

Oh my goodness..the story was very cute however the scare was not. So sorry for the scary experience you went through but very glad everything is okay now.

Doreen

Patricia said...

POOR BABY ! Hope you are all resting comfortably now.....

Our yellow lab Bo, has helped himself to some chocolates over the years....we are lucky he hits the scale at 100 lbs. so he has gotten away with it. Dogs can be very much like Houdini where sweets are involved....

Molly said...

Oh my, I'm glad you're all recovering. There's nothing worse than when my dogs are sick.
I don't allow mine to use the internet, so hopefully they haven't learned of chocolate...or I'm sure that would be next on our list of vet adventures.

chocolatechic said...

Poor little guy!


And you...not only do you have a huge vet bill, but your bag of Dove Dark is gone.

Tragedy all the way around.

Amy said...

Hey boys, these are the leo girls over at Eventyrhus...didn't you know that chocolate isn't good for you???? Geez...thought everyone knew that...you boys must not be able to read?? Well, at least one of you can't...your brother must have gotten the brains in the family, though we will admit you look pretty cute...for a little guy...if you tell anyone that we'll deny it...Glad you are feeling better...stay away from the chocolate and don't go near grapes either!!!! Give your mamma lots of kisses too, sounds like she had one heck of a night worrying about you!!!

Lucy said...

I too have always heard chocolate couldn't be given to dogs but didn't realize what it could do to them. I wonder if it's the same for cats.

Significant Snail said...

Oh that poor pathetic doggie! What a picture. And a news post to boot! Hope you all have a restful day.

Heidi said...

POOR YOU!!! POOR POOCH!!! Glad that things were caught in time that he didnt get really sick - not that his trip to the vet wasnt stressful, but I have heard that chocolate can cause death in dogs.... He does however look like he has been out all night looking for love at the bottom of a bottle of - somthing... LOL

Vee said...

Oh no! Was this actually written up in the paper? Your sense of humor shines through even when exhausted, worried, and broke.

(A family member who will remain unnamed used to secretly feed chocolates to an elderly dog said family member was not so fond of. The dog lasted another five years. The worst thing that dog ate was the entire vacuum cleaner cord, which prompted the subsequent chocolate poisoning attempt. Smart dog!)

Sand Flat Farm said...

Been there, done that. Our crazy Brittany ate a whole batch of chocolate chocolate chunk cookies off of the cabinet while they were cooling when I went out of the room. You talk about projectile vomiting....

PamKittyMorning said...

Poor little fellow. Glad he's on the mend.

Jill said...

Oh my!! I can't believe your poor doggie! That's a heck of a lot of chocolate. Bugger that it went to "waste". Amazing what we go through for our animals.

I can't imagine how horrible it was for you and the farmer. I do love the pink bandage though. :)

PatQ said...

I was at the emergency vets last month for the exact same thing!! But my 100 lb lab at 18 king sized Hershey bars with almonds!! My husband had them in a box in his nightstand drawer that he left opened. She opened the box and ate the bars wrappers and all. It cost $1200. Luckily, I love her very much.

Dejoni said...

OMG! So sorry about your dogs but the newspaper ad is hilarious!
Hope they get well soon and you get some rest.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

That is hilarious!!!! I believed every word and thought, What a totally clever journalist....now that's a paper I want to read! And I esp liked the wise cracking brother.

Glad he is okay:) He is clearly the dog version of me (sigh).

Kathi D said...

Oh no! I'm glad it all turned out OK! I have to be extra careful with all my stuff now that my two pups can reach what's at the front edge of the kitchen counters. It makes life interesting.

Cottage Rose said...

AWW poor baby; I am glad he is ok, and what a very funny story you wrote. Suzanne I so love to read your stories, you always make my days. I hope he is feeling better.

Hugs;
Alaura

KatKit13 said...

Oh your poor babies... and poor you.

I had a chocoholic dog once. She ate all the Easter candy (2nd shelf in the master bedroom closet), 11 chocolate cupcakes off the stove (hey, she left me one!)... and all this from a cocker spaniel!

I'm glad it came out okay. Naughty doggie!

Mary Rex said...

Oh dear! Must have been awful for you...but the story is so funny. Poor little guy. Yes, Lucy, it is the same for cats, but not quite as serious. I have one cat who has gotten into chocolate with no ill effect, and now begs for it whenever she gets a wiff of the stuff *please mom just one bite*!

Anonymous said...

thats exactly what happened to our 7 lb min pin only he ate the hershey kisses, foil and all...only a pound....and just the same, emergency vet, pump stomach, charcoal, and had to stay until his heart stopped beating at 200 beats a minute until it was normal. only cost us $350. for that damn bag of chocolate.

Mary said...

Awwww, poor thing!