Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Emergency Room Bag

The emergency room bag isn't just for trips to the ER. We're not at the hospital often enough to warrant a bag simply for that purpose. It's actually a tote bag that I made several years ago to be my airline carry on bag.
  Photobucket

 I found some nice upholstery fabrics half off at Joann's. Thankfully my 1950's heavy duty sewing machine named Beverly is able to handle bulky, heavy fabric. The bag contains my current, portable hand work which is either some sewing, embroidery, crocheting or knitting. Right now it's a happy tangle of yarn just waiting to be tranformed into something else.

  Photobucket

 On my most recent trip to the ER it contained a couple balls of this yarn.

  Photobucket

 It's Lily and Cream cotton which I use to make old-fashioned crocheted dishcloths. I always used a sponge in the kitchen but the Mother and the Other Mother swore by their cotton dishcloths. After we combined households I decided to give them a try. The fact that they can be thrown in the washing machine and washed in hot water is a plus for me.

You know the unwritten rule around here - what's created in the ER is offered in a giveaway. I'll be giving away the dishcloths that I crocheted whilst sitting in the ER.

Would you like to win them? Just leave me a comment telling me what you prefer to use in your kitchen, sponge or dishcloth. If you prefer a sponge this will be your chance to try something different. 

Have a great day everyone. I appreciate the fact that you've stopped by here "At Home".

 

15 comments:

Dorothy said...

I prefer dish "rags" which I crochet myself or buy at craft shows. Oh yes I love the story of the cayotes(sp) yesterday. My sis and I use to sit on the front porch in the evenings and listen to their beautiful music. The joys of living way out in the country.

Vee said...

What a lovely color! Ever consider creating a table runner from the dish cloth pattern? It would be so easy to wash up.

Tess said...

I am of the sponge persuasion. In fact, I use that which has the scrubbie on one side. Where do you put the dish cloth when not in use? I have a large farm sink in the kitchen without the dividing hump thingy. My sponge sits in the under sink cabinet. Am I over-thinking this?

Leslie T said...

I use a dishcloth and just throw it in the laundry every day, get a clean one out each morning, and life is dandy.

Karen Deborah said...

Suzanne if I mail you a shirt and some fabrics can you make up an apron in time for mothers day?

Anonymous said...

Would love to win the rags although you probably don't want to ship them to Germany.;)

When I lived in Canada, I used to buy balls of cotton yarn that came ready with instructions for crocheting dish rags -- I still have a couple of rags left but the instructions seem to have been lost in one transatlantic move or another. Would you mind sharing yours for those of us not winning the actual rags?

Terri said...

I've always washed with the cloth. Sponges always seemed too stiff to get into the little spaces, and there is that convenience of laundering them.
(I hope these are from a long ago trip and not the results of another recent trip to the ER.)
Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I use a dishcloth but have a scrubbie that I use also. I buy the scrubbies at craft fairs and I think they are crocheted!
Love your blog!

MaddiesMom said...

I have always used a sponge (the one with the scrubber on one side) because, I suppose, my mother did. I would love to try something new.

Do the dish cloths (hand crocheted) last longer?

Glenda in Florida said...

I use either knitted or crocheted cotton cloths--I don't know which they are, because I can't do either. I have some made by friends, and some I've bought at craft shows, and I'd love to win one of yours! I enjoy your blog--I was born and raised in Illinois.

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzanne...I have always used dish rags. I never knew that there was anything else to use, until I got older :>). I love the home made ones and buy them whenever I have a chance. I would love to add a couple of yours to my collection. I try to buy from my blogger friends when I can. Take care and keep being creative. Enjoy your blog very much. I am Bella Della's mom :>).

Jayne Honnold said...

I prefer dishrags, and have used the knitted/crocheted ones. They are wonderful! I need to learn this skill...could be making my own!

Ruta M. said...

I use both a scrubber sponge and a nylon brush. A recent tv 'cleaning' programme showed that a washing sponge has more nasty bacteria than a toilet seat. That did horrify me. I've never tried using a cotton cloth which at least you could boil to kill off the bacteria though as my husband says we don't seem to have suffered from all those germs.

Melissa Jo said...

I love these, my hubby's grandmother made me some many years ago, but they've worn out. Blessings to you~

dara said...

dish rags! I love the feel of them so much more than a sponge.