Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Actress of Choice

The Farmer and I recently went to see the new Indiana Jones movies. I was very excited. I wanted to love it, but I did not. I liked it but it was missing something. That special something that you can't quite put your finger on. It simply lack some spark and that makes good into great.

What I did love was Karen Allen. The movie certainly gained some sparkle when she showed up on the screen (halfway through?). My favorite Karen Allen movie was "Starman" with Jeff Bridges. I loved that movie. It was always apparent to me that Karen had spunk and an undefinable quality.

Photobucket

The other day in the grocery store I found a magazine called, "More". I don't remember every seeing this publication before but it caught my eye because Karen was on the front cover. I try to refrain from buying magazines because I tend to go a little overboard, but somehow it found it's way into my cart. Lesley Jane Seymour, the new editor, explains that More is about the adventure of midlife, about getting to reinvent yourself with the benefit of all the experience, confidence and style we've acquired over the years." I was very impressed with the magazine and the article about Allen.

She's 56! Holy cow, look at this photo:

Photobucket

Can I have a do-over? I promise to do more push-ups.

Here's what's impressive about Karen Allen. She's never let anyone or anything define who she is. She never let Hollywood go to her head or limit who she could be and never took herself too seriously.

The subtitle of this article states, "When Hollywood quit calling, she fashioned a new life for herself."

She has found a way to continually reinvent herself and find what really makes her happy. In her 50's she found she was working less and less and decided to do something creative, so she went back to school (N.Y. Fashion Institute of Technology) to learn machine knitting. She runs her own knitting business in the Berkshires.

Photobucket

I think she's found what a lot of us are looking for, a balanced and interesting life. One of the most admirable qualities is her ability to let go. This is where I get stuck. Letting go and moving on is not one of my strong points and I'm having the greatest difficulty in reinventing myself....yet again.

Karen shouldn't give up acting just yet because I've got her penciled in to play me in the movie version of my life.

The Farmer thought that was the funniest thing he'd ever heard. The movie version of my life??? Certainly I was joking. Yes, of course I was. Maybe.

13 comments:

Vee said...

Gee thanks. I love seeing women older than I who look twenty years younger. Yup, just makes my morning! :D

Chris said...

Thanks for featuring Karen Allen! What a wonderful, smart, and beautiful woman she is! We can't have too many examples like that, can we?

Thank YOU for such a fun blog! I check in often, and I enjoy it so much. You have your own "special sparkle", my dear!

Cheers! Chris

Heather said...

SHE'S 56!!! She looks amazing. What an inspiring lady.

Mary said...

She's 56? Holy crap, I've got to start doing a LOT more sir-ups!
xoxo,
Mary

Suzanne said...

Vee - I knew you would love it! Sigh.

Chris - I'm so glad you stop by reguarly. Special sparkle?? I can only hope so because the exterior is quickly deteriorating.

Heather - YES. She is very inspiring.

Mary - We all need to START NOW. Drop and give me 50!!

Her co-star Shia LeBeouf (a baby at 22 yrs. old) reports that every man on the set had a crush on Karen. The guys were fighting over her attention because bottom line, she is kind and willing to listen. Shia's father still has a crush on her, a remnant of the first Indie movie.

Harrison Ford states that she has a "girlish streak" to her....not coy, not weak, just fun with a adventurous spirit.

Thanks everyone for visiting. - Suzanne

LIBERTY POST EDITOR said...

I'm chuckling here because I can picture her at the fashion institute doing 'shots' with all the young guys after class. hee hee
She can drink anyone under the table...also...love the idea of the movie..can I produce? I'm good at that.

Paula B. said...

man...talk about a double blow.

First my SIL (who's significantly older than I) referred to me as middle-aged.
"Whoa there," sez I, "...what do you mean middle aged?"

And then I calculated what middle age was based on a life expectancy of 88...and guess what...I'm middle aged! Awwwwwwk!

Now, you post a stunning pic of a woman who is 56 and looks younger than me.

Sure...when I'm down, kick me hard.

[dropping and giving 50]

Anonymous said...

Wow, just discovered this. I wrote an unsolicited script for Starman 2 back in 1998. It was my first script and I quit college to finish it. It's been gathering dust ever since. I sent it to Jeff Bridges and John carpenter, although I would prefer if Carpenter didn't direct a sequel, maybe Frank Darabont or someone. I wrote some good f/x sequences and some interesting characters. I'm pretty sure I'll never be involved, but I'd to see the f/x scene from the beach being incorporated, (Jeff's manager Neil will know the one, totally plagiarised from another movie, but it would look great on film today). If anyone has any questions, email me at hansenfilm@yahoo.ie and I'll answer them. (Although I won't give away any plot points. And yes there is a son and indeed, I actually have the perfect casting suggestion!!

Alice said...

I've always liked Karen Allen and now even more so that I've read your post. How wonderful that she didn't try to use plastic surgery to keep herself up to Hollywood standards. I think she looks beautiful and natural and I'm so glad she found a wonderful new career.

Suzanne said...

Liberty - YES! She can drink like a sailor (if only in the scripts) and pull off a crazy dress with a huge bow on her butt. What a gal. Oh yes, you can be my producer. I trust you to get the job done and done right.

Paula - Don't cry to me. I'm WAY over middle age. How many people do you know that are 120 years old? See what I mean? Give me 50 more!

Brad - That's fascinating. I wish you could get someone to move forward with the project. After all, Jeff Bridges isn't getting any younger. (He's 58)

Alice - I think you've summed it up. She's beautiful and natural...she's a real person.

Thanks everyone!

kari and kijsa said...

We have heard the same movie reviews as well! Wow what a great article- inspiring!!!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Anonymous said...

Thanks for such a fun blog!
I check in daily and love to see what you're up to. I also live probably about nine miles from you and love to learn about what's happening in the area. Best to you!

Unknown said...

My husband was watching this movie the other night & I kept insisting that it couldn't be the new one because there is that girl from Animal House... Wow!!... Did you know she was an Illinois gal too? From Carrolton... )