Friday, December 12, 2008

Field Trip - Christmas in the City - Part Two

Thanks so much for coming back today. I'm normally a very enthusiastic and positive person but for some reason the first part of our experience in the city left me in an odd mood. Thankfully you've assured me that I'm not alone in that respect. Sometimes our traditions serve as bridges to our past and we all need something familiar and comfortable in our lives.

After spending a couple of hours roaming Macy's we walked several blocks over to Daley Plaza, which is the site of the 13th Annual Christkindlmarket. This is a German tradition and it's fun to browse through the lovely folk art gifts and decorations. This market is outdoors and each booth is enclosed on only three sides. Braving the elements is part and parcel of being a true midwesterner. We just popped up the umbrellas, hopped over the puddles and kept moving in order to keep warm.

Photobucket

This event takes place under the watchful eye of the Picasso sculpture.

Photobucket

Coats resembling sleeping bags were the uniform of the day.

Photobucket

The red and white booths were very festive. The ladies huddled together while they shopped the Ukranian booth.

Photobucket

German food is served but you'll need to turn your back to the biting wind and rain to eat your bratwurst.

Photobucket

My neighbor Donna looks over her shoulder before making a decision about whether or not to purchase an ornament.

Photobucket

This was my favorite booth. It was filled with honey and these intricate beeswax candles. Don't you love the golden glow?

Photobucket

We passed the Channel 2 News street level studio on our way back to the train station.

Photobucket

Unfortunately they were between newscasts.

I want to thank all of you for coming along on this trip to celebrate Christmas in the City. I hope you all have a chance to experience it at least once. I'd love to hear about the special celebrations in your town!

10 comments:

Heidi said...

Thanks for taking us rowdy bunch of hooligans with ya!! LOL Too bad that rain wasnt snow - it would have been beautiful~or not... lol

Vee said...

Special celebrations in my town? Hmmm, let's see, there's the lighting of the Christmas tree...I don't attend. I should take a picture of our park all decorated...it's exquisite...okay, not so much.

I enjoyed Part 2 immensely. Yes, that golden booth filled with bee products was wonderful.

Anonymous said...

They have a Christkindlmarket market in Chicago!?!? We honeymooned in Germany in December and had great fun checking out the Christkindlmarkets in each town we stopped in. We have many mementos from those little markets. Do they have hot spiced wine, too?

Heather said...

Everything looks so beautiful and festive! You'd think Denver with the snow and everything would make more of an effort. My city is lame.

Thirkellgirl said...

I loved seeing your Chicago trip! No big-city shenanigans for us this year, we're hunkered down with teenagers who sleep until 11 (and it's wonderful).

Significant Snail said...

Looks wonderful in spite of the cold. I do love beeswax candles...I have some that smell WONDERFUL!

LIBERTY POST EDITOR said...

You've been TAGGED my friend! xo

Bella Della said...

You've made me so homesick for my old German Christmas markets. So, so homesick. Thanks for taking us all along on your adventure. Have a great weekend.

life in red shoes said...

I think the smell of beeswax is positively intoxicating.Thank you taking me along on your trip, I should'nt have spent so much!

Mom in High Heels said...

Ooooooh! I love it. Ds and I went to Chicago last Thanksgiving (dh was away at an Army school) and he loved the Christmas market. Now that we're back in Germany there are markets all around us.
Thanks for bringing me along on your trip (you know, virtually).