Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Way Back Machine



"Maycomb was a tired old town, even in 1932 when I first knew it. Somehow, it was hotter then. Men's stiff collars wilted by nine in the morning; ladies bathed before noon, after their 3 o'clock naps, and by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frosting from sweating and sweet talcum. The day was twenty-four hours long, but it seemed longer. There was no hurry, for there was nowhere to go and nothing to buy... and no money to buy it with. Although Maycomb County had recently been told that it had nothing to fear but fear itself... That summer, I was six years old. "

- Scout's narration from To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee


The Farmer and I traveled to South Carolina several years ago. We stopped on our way down the coast to Charleston at a place called McClellanville, which I promptly designated as the town that time forgot.

It was incredibly hot that day. We spent some time down by the docks watching the shrimp boats return from their day fishing on the Atlantic. On our drive down Pickney Street back to the main highway I spotted a huge live oak tree, dripping with Spanish moss.

"Stop the car," I yelled.

The Farmer complied, accustomed to my photographic whims.

The scene reminded me of something out of To Kill a Mockingbird. I snapped the shot and grabbed the book as soon as we returned home. It was wonderful to read the words again. This was perhaps the third time I've read Harper Lee's classic. I felt satisfied when in my reading, I came across the quote that matched the photo.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Don't forget to place your entry for the Cherry Picking Field Trip Giveaway. The deadline is today, July 5th at 6 p.m.

13 comments:

Vee said...

I recognized it right away. What a marvelous picture! You made me laugh with your "Stop the car!" I've been known to yell like that all too often. I'm sure that it's not helping my darling's driving abilities a whit.

And now I am longing to read To Kill a Mockingbird again myself.

Jenni said...

What a cool tree! To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books. I read it again recently, and it's still sitting here on my desk with little slips of paper marking passages I want to type up:o)

Kitty said...

I love those old oak trees. Reminds me of the huge old live oaks around Texas. The town description reminds me of the still small, going nowhere Arkansas town where my Dad grew up. It always seemed to me to be stuck in time. Great photo!

Jody Blue said...

Who doesn't look at a picture of and old huge tree and sigh. It just takes you back and makes you want to see all the history that has taken place around that tree.

Michelle said...

What a perfect picture. I love that book. If there is such a thing as a perfect book, I think that must be it. I confess that I have yelled, "stop the car", more than once.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photograph to accompany a passage from my favorite book..Last Christmas my 26 year old son asked what I'd like as a gift. My reply? "I'd love to have a tire swing hanging from the big oak in the pasture." I think I'll send him your photo as a gentle reminder...
Libba

ArtPropelled said...

One of my favourites too. Wish Harper Lee had written more books.

LDF said...

I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird in many years ... must read it again. Having grown up with lazy-making summer heat in a small rural 1950s town, however, I recognize the scene, although it was elms not oaks.

martina said...

To Kill a Mockingbird was on cable yesterday afternoon! I recognized the photo right away. I've never read the book but will look for a copy.

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Thanks for the mention of Mockingbird. My sheltie is named "Scout Finch," and lives up to it well. C

Becky said...

Delightful picture, and I love the book, too. Thanks for sharing.

Louise said...

What a capture. Perfect for the book!

Anonymous said...

I just spent the day in McClellanville last week with the most wonderful person. He took me to this tree and put me on that tire swing. I watched him for what seemed like hours push me on the swing, so there is definitely something about that tree and that quaint town that knows no concept of time. I left my heart on that swing because I will never be able to be with person - not in this life ~ Thanks so much for the beautiful picture ~