Monday, September 21, 2009

Monday Morning Staff Meeting

Last week I was totallly out of it, as evidenced by the fact that I totally forgot about our Monday Morning Staff Meeting.

Thirkellgirl had shown up bright and early with cupcakes frosted with chocolate buttercream and what did she find. Nothing....nada....zip. I was missing in action. That just tells you my state of mind.

This morning we are keeping it simple, we're having grapes.



They're yummy. Have some. If there are any left over we're going to make Heidi crush them with her feet and we're going to attempt to make wine.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For those of you in northern Illinois, there are lots of events next weekend.

The Boone County Conservation District and Heritage Gardens are hosting their annual Autumn Pioneer Festival. This is a great festival, don't miss it!


AUTUMN PIONEER FESTIVAL

Saturday, Sept. 26 - 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 27 - 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Admission Free - Donations gladly accepted.

Interpreters in period clothing will be demonstrating activities such as flint knapping, woodworking, basket making, and soap making. The two historic log cabins and five ethnic gardens on the grounds will be open for viewing.

Pioneer fries, prairie chicken, popcorn, jerky, fry bread and other items will be available for purchase.

This is a chance to see the reproduction of a Potawatomie wigwam.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On the same dates in nearby Rockford, Illinois, Midway Village Museum will be hosting their World War II Days event.

WORLD WAR II DAYS
Saturday, Sept. 26 - 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 26 - 11 a.m.-4 p.m.

This even gives a look inside the history of World War II, including period vehicles, tents, tanks, artillery, armored vehicles and artifacts. The Farmer and I have encountered these WWII re-enactors before and they are fascinating and well-versed in their knowledge of the history of the area.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For those of you wanting to get a jump on the season there will be a Oktoberfest celebration at the Kane County Fairgrounds, also taking place next weekend.

KANE COUNTY OKTOBERFEST
Friday, Sept. 25 - 5 p.m.-Midnight
Saturday, Sept. 26 - 11 a.m.-Midnight
Sunday, Sept. 27 - 11 a.m.-10 p.m.

Admission $7 - Kids 12 and under free.

Schnitzel Platz is providing the food and it will all be under a huge tent!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For those of you who are not in northern Illinois, I WISH YOU WERE HERE! We'd visit all three events and have a great time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks so much for all your good thoughts about our recent yellow jacket drama. It was apparent to us, after the fact, that any number of things could have gone terribly wrong. The Other Mother was out there poking around in her garden earlier and in week. If she'd accidentally gotten near the nest we would have certainly had a tragedy on our hands. The area is off limits. We've done an initial spraying with a product that shoots out 20 feet, allowing you to spray without the need to get close to the nest.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'd love to know if any of you are planning to make Christmas gifts this year. I try to include handmade items in my gift giving and what I can't make myself, I purchase from artisans at ETSY.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks for attending the Monday Morning Staff Meeting. I'd love to hear what you've been up to.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -






8 comments:

Thirkellgirl said...

You were up bright & early! I would love to go to the WW2 days in Rockford. I think we must have missed all of the interesting part of Rockford on our two trips through it last year, because Cracker Barrel was the highlight for us (and Starbucks). Taking teenage daughter to the doctor for a checkup and then bra-shopping and lunch since we'll be out-and-about, and then putting away my seashells and replacing them with apples and pumpkins in honor of the end of summer.
I think you need a flame-thrower for the ground nest. I bet the old guys in Rockford can hook you up. :)

Mim said...

Good Morning! Those grapes went great with my peppered bacon and eggs!

I always make handmade/homemade gifts for Christmas. Teachers get them, friends and family. Now we also buy store bought gifts because I am not going to stress myself out by making all the gifts. But I truely love giving a gift that has my time, skill and love put into it.

p.s.original said...

Thank you for warning us about the yellowjacket ground nests. I had no idea. We are way down in Texas and I know the seasons are very different, but the danger will come with the cooler weather. I'm so glad you all okay. Pat W.

chocolatechic said...

Thanks for the grapes. I had some rice crispies.

I make a lot of my Christmas gifts. Right now I'm knitting a sweater for the boy...I'm so excited.

My first sweater.

Lisa D. said...

I have been making homemade Christmas gifts for the last couple of years, especially for grandparents and parents who don't need more "stuff" and brothers who have tiny apartments in the city and don't need "stuff". I make them a variety of cookies/candies, jams, syrups. I also try to include some extra things, like books (we are very big on books in our family) and maybe something from one of the local craft fairs in town close to Christmas. Last year a lady had handmade jewellry from Costa Rica - Costa Rican women make them to sell as a way of earning income to support their families. So mother, soon-to-be-sister-in-law, cousin, all got a piece of beautiful jewellry.

J'Ollie Primitives said...

We give each other home made or handmade gifts each Christmas. I usually make a pathetic attempt to knit 14-plus pairs of socks for most of the family, but am usually far short of that goal. The recipients are used to getting socks with the needles still in them, awaiting toes to be bound off, or a few more inches added for those with big feet.:)Last Christmas my sister made vats of cheesy potatoes for her nephews. They were beside themselves with excitement. (seriously)

LDF said...

Grapes - yum! I was looking in my fridge for fruit after breakfast this morning, but it appears SOMEONE forgot to restock the fruit bin during Saturday grocery shopping. I was at our local farmers market and bought some nice goat cheese ... here, it will go well with your grapes.
i'm thinking about making hand warmers, like fingerless gloves, for a couple of co-workers for Christmas this year. They're both always cold. Anyone made the likes before? Or know of a nice pattern?

life in red shoes said...

I've been missing these meetings in your absence!
You have so many wonderful things to do in your neck of the woods, no wonder you stay so busy.
Christmas gifts, they are in the making. I love nothing more than to give someone I care about a gift that was made with my own 2 hands. Part of the gift is that all the while I was crafting it, I was thinking about that person and how much they mean to me.

I had better get my sewing room back soon, or I will be handing out embroidered IOU's.