Monday, February 8, 2010

Monday Morning Staff Meeting

It's that time again! The Monday Morning Staff Meeting. This week I'm going to be making omelettes for everyone, so put in your order. I've got plenty of fresh eggs and all kinds of fixings. Let me know how you like your omelette. Or, if you prefer, I can whip up some French toast.


Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings kitchen, Cross Creek, Florida.


That kitchen pictured above is one of my favorite kitchens, ever! There's not an inch of granite in sight. Everything is functional, nothing is for show, just for producing wonderful meals from fresh ingredients.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This week I'm going to institute a new feature called:

The Comment Spammer Comedy Hour

First of all, in all the years I have been blogging (photoblog began in 2005), I can count on one hand the number of spam comments I received until recently. All of a sudden, comment spam is falling down like manna from heaven. Those little spam robots (or whoever) work like little pixies in the night. First thing in the morning I'm got another batch of goofy stuff to delete.

Some of it is actually quite funny. It definitely has that ring of gobbledy gook spit out by one of those online translators. For your amusement I present the two top runners from this week's batch.

Contender #1 -

Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can bruit about that I agree with you, but you may be in the light of other options. To the article there is quiet a suspect as you did in the decrease delivery of this solicitation.

I noticed the axiom you suffer with not used. Or you profit by the pitch-dark methods of inspiriting of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg.


I can honestly say that no one has ever heard that particular combination of words and syntax EVER BEFORE in the history of man.

Contender #2 -

Opulently I acquiesce in but I think the brief should acquire more info then it has. '

UH HUH.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To balance out this bizarre comment trend I received two really nice e-mails from readers. You know who you are!

I am always happy to get e-mails. Comments too, although I'm under a time crunch lately and haven't had much time to answer your comments. Forgive?

Someone asked about my blog design and "signature" at the bottom. Believe me, I know just enough about the computer to get by, but web design and code is way over my head. My blog was designed by Chelsea at Aqua Poppy Designs. Go over to her site and check it out. She's got plenty of free backgrounds and also offers custom design service.

She was wonderful to work with and she also coordinated the header for my Etsy shop.

AQUA POPPY DESIGNS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Do you remember when I gave away the book, Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society?

Kat was the winner and now I'm happy to report that she's passing the book along to someone else. Now's your chance if you still want to read it. Visit her blog and leave a comment as to whether you prefer to read new books or used books. Do this by Wednesday, February 10th. She'll be drawing on Thursday, February 12.

It's her first giveaway and it's in conjunction with her 100th post. Congratulations on the milestone!

THE BOBWHITES

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There's another new blog on the block!

Sharon promised that she'd let me know when she had her blog up and running. Sharon and her family are dairy farmers and her blog is called, Farm and Fru Fru.


I love her tag line, "Living creatively with cows". It's worth a read to see exactly how you do that. The fru-fru part must come from the fact that she's outnumbered - a husband and two sons and messy cows means you're going to need to assert your feminine side.

Visit her at:

FARM AND FRU FRU

I'm going to mention here that farmers work very, very hard. It's hard, physical work. But almost every farmer I know will admit that dairy farmers work VERY, VERY hard. Whereas, farmers who grow crops have some down time, dairy farmers have NO down time. Think about it. Their crop is milk. The crop comes in twice a day. Every day. On Sunday. On holidays. On the days when your niece is getting married. Vacations? HUH, what's that? Who's gonna babysit a heard of thirty bovines?

Seriously. I'm thankful each time I pour a glass of 2% that these families are committed to what they do.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm going to give you an assigment this week. I feel like the tape recorder voice on Mission Impossible - -

"Your mission, should you choose to accept it is to use the following phrase in a sentence in the next week."

"It's so good it makes you smack your grandmammy."

Yep, that's it. One of my grandmother's favorite phrases. How would you use it? Well, it's used when you eat something so delicious you need to exclaim the fact, so you say, "It's so good it makes you smack your grandmammy!"

Smacking your grandmammy means giving her a big, thankful kiss.

Try it. Find something delicious. Make the exclamation and see what people say. Will they ask what you mean? I bet they will. It's a conversation starter for sure.

Report back to me next week.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

That's all from me. The meeting is now yours. Do with it what you will, but please, no comment spam syntax please.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice post. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did any one learn that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.

Leslie T said...

I'd like an egg white omelette with spinach, please. I'm sure it'll be so good it'll make me want to smack my grandmammy. And maybe my grandpappy too, just for good measure. :)
A great post, as always. Have a good Monday, Suzanne!

Sharon Stanley said...

Thank you so much for your kind link to Farm and Fru Fru...as always your monday morning staff meeting was "opulent" and I don't think your "brief" should "acquire more information" ! You have big footsteps to follow...and again, I thank you...it makes me so happy I could smack my grandmammy...

Vee said...

Interesting spam you've been receiving. What I get is far more direct...meet me *here.*

As for backgrounds, I thought that I had shopped at all known sites. Now, I'll follow your link and see what she has to offer. There were about two hours of time last week when I tested dozens of backgrounds. It would've made anyone visiting very ill. (Actually, it did.)

I've had my oatmeal breakfast or else I'd beg for some cheesy omelette with salsa. Perhaps next week, I'll be by earlier.

Lisa D. said...

I miss my fresh eggs - my chickens don't lay in the winter because I don't have a light in their house yet.
I read that comment #2 - I was trying to figure out how that made any sense at all, never thought about having run things through a translator. That's funny.
Sounds like an interesting blog to check out. My in-laws have a milk cow and I take my turn at milking too. At least with only one cow and about 3 of us who will take a turn at milking it's not so bad. And right now we have a break before her calf is due in March. Only problem is no free milk, butter, yogourt or cottage cheese for a while. Not so good with 4 little "calves" of my own.

Vee said...

What a great site that was...off to let her know. I love what I found!

Kat said...

Wow. Thanks for letting people know about the book giveaway. I'm blushing. I just wish my handwriting was as nice as yours--that was the prettiest envelope I've ever received in my life!

Mary said...

In the cute saying venue, I recently hear "well butter my butt and call me a biscuit". Not sure why it came about. But I certainly appreciate you clearing up "smacking" your grandma for me. I was a bit apalled when I heard it the first time.

life in red shoes said...

Your spam reminds me of Engrish, google it, very funny.
My Granny used say that something sweet, yummy and messy, was a Gooey, Chewy, Messy, Bessy.
Boy, do I ever miss her.

Brenda Pruitt said...

Just found you. I've just started get spam comments myself. Hope I don't have to have that word verification enabled. Wonder if it's something with Blogger? Loved that old saying. I shall use it! You have a great blog.
Brenda

Kim said...

I've also noticed a serious upswing in spam activity. I finally set my comments so that those made on posts more than 3 days old would have to be approved by me first. That's helped tremendously to delete before they're even posted. But a few always slip by in the initial 3 day period. Your examples sound like some I've gotten, along with Chinese symbols, weird code of some kind, and lists of links. So annoying!

Just wanted to make a comment about granite. In the U.S. we had plain old formica and I yearned for butcher block. But here in Argentina granite is the most widely used countertop material (once in a while you'll see ceramic tile) and I have to say I love how it cleans up easily, you can set hot pans on it, and so on. Plus there are so many patterns and colors. I'm a granite convert :-)

Anonymous said...

Good post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.