Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Way Back Machine

Photobucket

The Time: Summer, 1985
The Place: Our front yard, Bartlett, Illinois


There she is, the Farmer's daughter.......in all her determined glory.

What do you see? Determination? Stubborness? Strength of will? Power?

She possesses all those traits and more. I've never known such a determined person in my life. There's no controversial theories about nature vs. nurture in her case. It was nature all the way. She was born with the entire package.

I remember her sitting in her baby swing with this totally disgusted look on her face. What she was saying was, "I know I should be able to do something besides sit here in this swing." She was one totally unhappy soul until she could start to walk and talk and let her agenda be heard. She knew she should be able to do more than the dumb stuff that babies do.

Once she was walking and talking she was on her way. This photo was taken 22 years ago and it's been an interesting journey. She's made her way through life and her determination has served her well.

But, sheesh......just look at that face!

15 comments:

Louise said...

The face is beautiful, and yes, determined. But that is what would make her special--and be sure that you never had a dull moment.

Terrific picture!

Jill said...

What a fabulous photo!! It's just amazing.

Marie Reed said...

That face is as cute as a button!

Vee said...

What's not to love about that sweet face? The sun's in her eyes! :D

What a good description of your daughter's strength. Grit and determination can take us a long way.

So did she like tap dancing?

GoldieLoo Woodworks said...

I just ran across your blog and Im so enjoying the reading~its great! This picture is adorable !~~Pam

Simple Answer said...

Is there a word cuter than cute? Love, love it!

Rene said...

She was just too cute! I'm sure she is totally loving you right about now for posting this picture!! ;-)

Unknown said...

I love it! Love everything about it...Oh, and that face!

Unknown said...

She's so cute!

Unknown said...

Great photos!!! I think that you can see all those traits in her face.

She looks as though she is going to take life by the horns and give it what for! That's a good thing!!!!

BTW, I have an award for you on my blog, swing by and pick it up. :-)

Trish said...

that pic is toooooooooo priceless. Oh my oh my...already I can see the woman you are today in that little face.! Thanks for sharing. You are too funny!

life in red shoes said...

Perhaps the tutu is toto tight!

Suzanne said...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. She's a keeper that girl. As a child she had too much energy for this old mom. It was difficult to keep up with her and equally difficult to make sure she was safe.

Louise - WOW, you're right. Never a dull moment. That's still true.

Jill - She was determined to give a good tap dancing pose. She's only three here!

Marie - She was cute as a button but was very unhappy with some of the haircuts I gave her.

Vee - I don't think she liked tap. She did like gymnastics but WHOA.....when the director of the gymnastics studio suggested to her that she needed dance lessons badly, she went into a month long rage.

Pam - I'm so glad you landed here, come back anytime.

S.A - Thanks. Please try to update your blog when you can. I'm going to miss you until you get up and running in Jordan.

Rene - You know what? She loves this picture!!!!

Tressa - Nothing can compare to your daughters face. What a doll.

Bobbi - Thanks. I think so too, but I'm partial because I'm the mom.

Karen- Yes she did, all through college she pretty much grabbed the bull and rode it to accomplish what she needed to accomplish. This will serve her well in her career as a project manager for large commercial design projects. Thanks for the award!!!

Trish - She's something else.

Red shoes - That's a distinct possibility. I do remember that they made them wear heavy flesh colored tights. It was hot and she did NOT like those tights.

Thanks everyone for visiting "At Home...." with me today.

- Suzanne

BittersweetPunkin said...

LOVE that photo!!

Mental P Mama said...

That shot speaks volumes. Love it!