Thursday, August 28, 2008

Have a Seat.....

If you've been reading for awhile you are aware that I've become intimate friends with my basement floor. I've been dealing with this floor for one year this weekend. Remodeling goes very slow when you're doing the work yourself and you're not keeping yourself to a strict deadline.

There have been times when we shut the door and ignored the tasks for months on end. First I had to scrape carpet glue from 600 square feet of the space using a putty knife. That putty knife is going to be framed and hung in a place of honor in the basement.

The before......

Photobucket

After getting quotes on installing the 4,000 lbs. of tile we ordered, we decided to lay the tile ourselves. At various times during this project I considered calling my old therapist. I'm due for a tune-up anyway.

Two-thirds of the floor (one side of the basement) has been completed, which allows us to move all the "stuff" to that side and start laying more tile! The tile is so beautiful, like a marbled terrazzo. We have found preformed pieces that cover the ugly poles and we still have to paint and install those.

Photobucket

We have started decorating the finished portion and that's the fun part. Basement windows are the bane of any decorating scheme. They're horrid, like underground terrariums built into the walls. I think I've got a solution, it just needs to be implemented.

We've got a nice sectional sofa which creates a movie theater corner. Still needed: area rug, lamps, candles, artwork, additional throw pillows.

Photobucket

The area needs a chair or two and I was thinking that it should be something without arms, something that's not too massive.This looked interesting. But it's a little bit chunky.

Photobucket

But in my post-menopausal and post-midlife crisis stage I feel a zebra skin chair coming on.

Photobucket

I can feel it.

It feels wild and right.

I need it.

The basement needs a wild side.

And so.........I'm working to earn some pin money......uhhhhhh, wild-zebra-print-chair-money is more like it.

If you check the side bar you will notice a new button. It looks like this:



It's the link to my marketplace called, "The Farmer's Wife Goes to Market". Do you remember helping me name the marketplace?

The first market is now open, titled "The Pink Market". When you pop over there you will see why.

If you see the button in the sidebar that means the market is open. No button - market closed.

As I mention on the market site, if you are looking for anything specific let me know. My sister and I have tons of mid-century items. I will be posting a market that is strictly aprons in the near future.

Thanks for reading. Thanks for shopping. Thanks for understanding my need for something wild.

21 comments:

Simple Answer said...

Wow! Is that really the basement. Spectacular!

Unknown said...

It is so beautiful and has a refreshing feel to it. I love the zebra chair and I say go for it...

Louise said...

I love people with wild taste. I don't have it. Maybe I secretly wish I did or something. Can't wait for the whole thing to be finished and see the results. LOVE IT so far!

chocolatechic said...

The floor is lovely.

I might be temped to go for a zebra stripped area rug instead of a zebra chair.

That way, when you get a notion about something else, you won't have to decorate around a zebra chair, you can just roll up the rug, and do something different.

Mary said...

Wow, the basement looks GREAT! Have you looked for a zebra rug? I think it would look fabulous, and may not be as expensive...

Can't wait to see the finished room!
xoxo,
Mary

Lori said...

Aw heck, go for the zebra! You only live once and what a conversation piece. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Vee said...

You have done incredible work! It looks absolutely amazing and the zebra chair just might find a home there. (What about a zebra throw?) Nothing like something to punch things up a bit.

Hope that you'll find time to see my post today since it features the wonderful vintage picnic basket.

Wanita said...

The tile is beautiful! Zebra chair, rug, or throw ~ I think something zebra would definitely work.

Significant Snail said...

Go with the zebra (it's terrific!)...and throw a few wild accessories around. Think of it as the spice in a recipe...

Unknown said...

I Love the floor and the store!

Stop over at the farm when you have a minute, I have something for you...

Anonymous said...

I'm envious ... the basement, the tile, everything looks gorgeous. And oh my -- a hearty YES to the zebra chair! I have been adding leopard shoes to my wardrobe... loads of fun, and not as scary as I thought. Grrrrr...

life in red shoes said...

The basement is coming right along, I would choose the zebra chair myself, maybe add a pillow to the sectional. Candice Olson over at HGTV treats basement windows like any other, hangs drapes to the floor, they look great.

Cottage Rose said...

Hey Suzanne; we all have a wild side, so I say let yours out for some air. I love the zebra chair, it is so cute and comfy looking. Now all you need is Tarzan and Cheetah...
lol; Have a great Friday.

Hugs;
Alaura

Nerm said...

I love that big, clean, new basement. I am green w/envy! I think from your comments that we are similiar ages, and that's why I wholeheartedly approve of the leopard chair. I understand!
Nerm

Mamahut said...

That my dear is a very pretty room. I am off to find the market button.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BittersweetPunkin said...

That zebra chair doesn't look too comfy...I like the other one...LOl

LOVE your shop...so glad you got it going!!
HUGS,
Robin

Thirkellgirl said...

I completely agree about the zebra chair. I didn't realize, until you mentioned it, that animal-print-desire is part of decreasing estrogen, but now that you have, it makes perfect sense. I have been searching for the perfect leopard shoes for three years now. And I want a zebra chair (or ottoman) too!

Jill said...

The floor looks amazing. Utterly amazing.

And the zebra couch - a must purchase!

Sharon said...

You have done the most beautiful job with your basement and decorating. I had a "moment" two years ago and bought a leopard print pillow, just a throw pillow for fun. My family has teased me mercilessly since! I don't care - it's plush and soft and I like it. Go for the zebra!

PamKittyMorning said...

The floor looks amazing! Nice work!