Saturday, December 20, 2008

Gingerbread House - Tutorial Part Six

Thanks for hanging in there with me as we create a gingerbread house. We're down to the final step and that's decorating.

I decided to use gum for my roof tiles but before I start tiling the roof I check out the chimney. My plan is to lay the gum tiles and set the chimney on top of that.

Photobucket

After setting the chimney aside I'm ready to begin the roof. I bought one long package of Big Red gum. There's a striped gum on the market but I couldn't remember what it was so I settled on this. I cut each stick into 3 pieces.

Photobucket

Dots of icing will hold them in place. Start at the bottom and work up.

Photobucket

Overlap and stagger each row just like a real roof.

Photobucket

I stopped before I got to the top because I decided to finish off with a row of these Creme Savers.

Photobucket

Both side are finished with the gum. I need to add the chimney before filling in with Creme Savers.

Photobucket

An edging of icing stars will keep the chimney in place.

Photobucket

Creme Savers edge the top of the roof.

Photobucket

The top of the roofline looked a little bare to me so I added a row of red, green and white Gobstoppers! I've had some of this candy for two years. I keep it in a sealed container just for gingerbread season.

Photobucket

I know what you're thinking - that's one REALLY BIG CHIMNEY. I swear those elves are up to no good. They're certainly involved in illegal activities and they're burning the evidence up in the fireplace.

The chimney looked bare. Time for a candy fix. I used icing to attach Necco Wafers but I didn't like the space between the wafers so I added icing stars to fill in. Do you see how things evolve?

Photobucket

I also thought the underside where the roof met the house looked messy, so more icing stars.

Photobucket

The final touch was to add icicles dripping from the roof. Just touch the tip to the edge of the roof, squeeze out some icing, pull down and pull away.

Photobucket

Now find a nice platter or tray to display your house. Tuck a battery operated tea light inside and it will glow through the candy windows.

Photobucket

I used a small heart shaped cookie cutter and some extra gingerbread dough to create the heart shaped walkway stones. The candy cane tree was an after Christmas purchase last year.

I'd like to thank everyone who baked, constructed and decorated along with me and everyone else who watched!

Poke me with a fork......I am SO DONE with gingerbread. I say that every year and when the weather turns cool I find myself dreaming about gingerbread houses once again.

My brain is fried from licking icing off my fingers. I'm off to make myself a martini. You know I have a habit of creating crazy martini recipes. This one's called Pond Scum. Heh, heh. heh. You'll have to wait till tomorrow. I'll also say a thanks to the couple who sparked my love for creating in gingerbread.

17 comments:

Heidi said...

How STINKIN CUTE!!! one year and only one year - we tried fervently to do a 'box' gingerbread house. Needless to say it ended up in the barn for the cats to eat - much swearing insued and my temper was....less than controled!!!! LOL

Kaye said...

Wow, wow, wow! Never in a million years - I don't care if my whole house was clean and decorated to perfection (it isn't), the cards were addressed and sent (they aren't), and all my gifts were bought and wrapped (not a chance!) - NEVER would I EVER be able to bake and decorate a gingerbread house. But I sure am glad there are people who can and do! It's beautiful! Thanks for sharing! Another great blog from Suzanne!

chocolatechic said...

Adorable.

Now when are you going to eat it?

Vee said...

So a.d.o.r.a.b.l.e.! But can we talk about that chimney? I tried ours on for size last night and was overwhelmed by the proportions. I think that I'll be making a small cardboard chimney instead.

When you get a chance, check on mine. I just keep adding pictures to yesterday's post as I'm not doing a Saturday post.

Have a nice cup of coffee and all will be right with the world. That's what I'm off to do.

Thanks so much for all the fun this week. I'm seriously telling you that when I think of this Christmas, my first Christmas with John, a lot of the fun memories are going to be around this little gingerbread house. ♥

Michelle said...

WOW!

Significant Snail said...

Thank you, thank you! I've always wanted to try this and your tutorial was excellent! I love the stepping stones, too. Now, about that martini...

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Looks YUMMY!!!!! One of these days I'm going to try doing this! Merry Christmas!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Beautiful. I loved watching the process! Thanks for sharing!

Molly said...

This is the first time I've ever thought making a gingerbread house is something I could do. It's going on next years list!

Thanks!

YOurs is beautiful, and I like that you let things evolve. That's something I enjoy about any crafting.

Jill said...

That is a absolutely amazing! My 5 year old is sitting next to me drooling - asking if she can make one of those... or at least taste one.

I loved watching the process of you making it and decorating it.

Fabulous!

Updated by Lila Huggins (grandmother) said...

Hey Ya'll from Atlanta,
AWESOME.

Miss Lila

Anonymous said...

Oh how wonderful! Have LOVED every minute of your gingerbread blogs. You are a great blogger... now 'bout that Pond Scum! Thanks to Louise for introducing me to your blog.

Rue said...

Hi Suzanne :)

First off... Happy Birthday to the farmer!

Second.... WOW! I'm impressed with your gingerbread house tutorial. I never knew how to do it and now I think I might. Plus, it involves no sewing, so that's a hugs plus ;)

Oh and thank you again for my surprise ;)

Merry Christmas hugs and love,
your biggest fan
rue

Anonymous said...

Wow I don't think I have seen anything so gorgeous! very nice!

Lori said...

These posts have been so much fun to follow, but I'm pretty sure I won't be takcling it myself. I would never have the patience for it, but surely admire these when someone makes one.

tam said...

Adorable gingerbread house!
~Smiles~Tam!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so happy I stopped by today. I have been AWOL. Christmas has gotten to me. Time is flying by jet and now the gingerbread house. I have made them and I know the work. I never thought of red gum for the roof. Great idea. The end result is adorable. Good job.

Christmas love...Jeanne