Friday, February 6, 2009

Dreaming of Spring

Warm weather is a long way off here in northern Illinois. It does no good to wish or hurry the season along because I've learned the hard way not to plant before Memorial Day.

This time of year spent dreaming over seed catalogs and thinking about all the wonderful things that will grow this summer. With that in mind I invite you to check out Boone County's Heritage Gardens site. If you're in northern Illinois or southern Wisconsin you might want to check out their heirloom seed sale that will be held on February 21st.

Photobucket">

They will be offering a gourd craft class that day.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Over a week ago I promised to take you on another adventure. Unfortunately my reading comprehension was lacking when I looked at my calendar.

Today is the day! I don't have a laptop and I'm not capable of live-blogging so you're going to have to wait until tomorrow when I can process the photos. Where are we going?

We're going to the small town of Tampico, Illinois.......the birthplace of President Ronald Reagan. Today is the annual birthday party held in his honor. We're also going to visit his boyhood home in Dixon, Illinois.

I suggest reading David McCullough's book, John Adams, for an important insight into the tremendous sacrifice made by those who serve as our Presidents, and their families. You'll also note that I have provided a link on my sidebar to the Lincoln Bicentennial Page. Next Thursday, February 12, is the 200th anniversary of the birth of Abraham Lincoln. There will be yearlong celebrations all across this nation. Check the link for activities in your area.

7 comments:

Skogkjerring said...

I hearby promise to work harder with my garden this summer then I did last summer. I love a beautiful garden but can't exactly say my thumb is green. So my poor garden was a bit neglected last year but this year...I WILL BE BETTER!!! I've been viewing some gardening catalogs also and found so many things that are gorgeous and yes, make you yearn for spring and summer...but alas, like you, no point in yearning too hard just yet!!! Here is to the summer ahead and beautiful blooms!!!!
Have a great weekend!!! :-))

FarmHouse Style said...

I've been planning my dream garden for a couple of weeks now. Luckily for us I will be able to plant a few things... peas and lettuce by the first of next month. Right now I am turning up the old beds, cleaning out and getting ready for the new.
I wish it were closer, I would love to participate in the Heirloom seed sale. I found the Seed Savers Exchange a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with the wonderful variety of heirlooms they offer.

Can't wait to visit the towns of Regan's boyhood. Incidentally, I ordered a book about Regan this week, hope it shows up today so I can read on it this weekend.

BTW sure glad Panco is OK.
Rhonda

Trish said...

How interesting...have a great day. Looking forward to tomorrow's posts.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

I'll be looking forward to it. Here in the NC Appalachians, we can't start gardens until Memorial Day either.

Vee said...

Oh I tried and tried to get through John Adams. I will some day, but it's going to take years. Now, John has just brought home 1776, also by David McCullough. Perhaps we can get through that when we finish our current evening book.

I know that some other month is the cruelest one...which one escapes me just now...but I have always believed that February is the cruelest one.

Looking forward to the next adventure with you!

Capitolady said...

It's like you read my mind! We are in the midst of a warm blast and I can't figure out why I am inside. :)

I can't wait so see Lincoln pictures.:)

StitchinByTheLake said...

I do wish I could be there for the seed sale! My sister is really wanting to buy some heritage seeds this year so we're looking at places to do that. blessings, marlene