Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Swedish Meatballs

Last week's Bunco party was a success and now it's time to pass along those recipes.

First, thank you to those who gave me hints on how to create a link for printable recipe. I'm a little technologically challenged, but I figured it out.

Lisa asked for the recipe for the Swedish meatball sauce. I'm also providing the recipe for the meatballs. I had a lot of menu items to prepare for the party and in an effort to budget my time, I actually purchased a bag of frozen Swedish meatballs at IKEA.

"Food? At IKEA?" my friend asked.

Yes, IKEA has a food department that carries specialty Swedish items. I passed on the herring floating in different sauces, and the salmon paste and cavier packaged in tubes resembling toothpaste. The ginger cookies looked interesting, as did the Lingonberries, but I left the store with nothing but the meatballs.



If you don't have an IKEA nearby, you can make your own Swedish meatballs.


PRINTABLE RECIPE

Here's the recipe for the sauce.


PRINTABLE RECIPE

TIP: When forming meatballs, continually dip your hands in cold water.

When making a sauce with a flour base, always cook the flour while stirring. If you don't cook the flour your sauce will have a gummy flavor and texture.

Thanks for stopping by today. We're fighting the battle against cabin fever. It would be easier if I still had my snowmobile. I could race across the open cornfields under the moonlight. Believe me when I say that nothing can compare.

8 comments:

Ang. said...

Being mostly Swedish, I just want to say that having the meat double ground is best. Swedish meatballs should have a fine texture unlike that of the typical bbq meatballs.

I live in a German settled area and Swedish food is not available here! I look forward to our Swedish smorgasbord every Christmas. I really need to become a better Swedish cook so I don't have to wait until Christmas to enjoy it.

Vee said...

Okay, I will attempt this one day for the Swede. Thanks!

My mother took off with your Blue Satin soup recipe. She's been having so many troubles with her appetite, but that recipe appealed to her. I'm waiting for her to try it first. :D

Lori said...

Looks yummy!
How about a tutorial on how to create a printable recipe?

chocolatechic said...

Lingonberries are wonderful.

George Gaston said...

Suzanne, What a terrific recipe! And a great thing to make for parties and a stay-at-home appetizers.

Thanks for sharing...

Anonymous said...

Rather nice blog you've got here. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything connected to this matter. BTW, try to add some images :).

Lisa said...

Thank you for posting the recipe. To my knowledge I have only eaten bbq meatballs, but will now be able to try these! Yay!

Click Here said...

I was awesome. I made it for the family for dinner , and normally it would be 4 servings. but we loved it. Thank you.