Monday, October 11, 2010

Monday Morning Staff Meeting

It's been awhile since I've held a staff meeting. I hope everyone has been behaving themselves.

I haven't cooked or baked in what seems like forever. Aren't you feeling deprived? Unfortunately, this morning I've got nothing but a little leftover from last night. I was going to serve you cold pizza from Saturday nights meal but the Farmer at that. The nerve of him. And so this is what you get.

Photobucket

Can you tell we ordered Chinese food last night? I've got a terrible cold and thus, no cooking under this roof.

This reminds me that I've got a recipe for fortune cookies somewhere. I'll have to dig it out and we can make them together. It's really fun and you can do them for a party, tucking personalized messages inside that you've printed out on your computer.

Photobucket

For now we'll have the plastic wrapped variety.

Photobucket

Here's your fortune.

Photobucket

So, go out this evening and look for that shooting star!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

While we were staying near Hot Spring, Arkansas, my mom and I snuck out of the house one day and drove into town. My friend had mentioned a place that she felt we would love, and we did. It's called Culinary District and it's a kitchen shop. It's not one of those fancy lifestyle cooking shops but the real deal that carries supplies, ingredients and equipment for the trade. It was kitchen gadget heaven! And it was all very affordable.

Unfortunately at this point in the trip I was already mailing ONE box back home and I had to draw the line somewhere. But I promised myself that next trip I would do some damage.

On my way out of the shop I grabbed a brochure and guess what? They have an online presence so I won't needing to be mailing boxes back home.

CULINARY DISTRICT SUPPLY

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This sewing room is chocked full of scraps of paper on which I've written all kinds of information. Mostly things I've seen and want to remember or return to. But, the truth is none of it's organized and so when I'm needing to retrieve something it's a herculean task, hardly worth the effort.

Somewhere is a link to a blogger who has taken a challenge not to buy anything new for a year. Of course that pledge does not include food and other essentials items. I wonder how she's doing in her quest.

Honestly, I can't say that I buy much of anything new these days. Being forced into frugality isn't a bad thing and I've never been much of a shopping hound anyway. My in-house fabric stash could keep me amused for quite awhile but it always seems that when I start a project I'm missing that ONE color.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There have been some really great comments lately and I'll talk about some of them this week. Some have got me thinking and some were just the right words at the right time and for that I thank you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There's sadness in the northern Illinois blogging community as one of our own, Annie Grosvenor passed away after a battle with cancer. She published a blog entitled, "Drawing a Blank".

I met Annie at a blogging get together last February. She was funny and smart and a real dynamo. We each took turns telling a little about ourselves and "having our say" so to speak. Annie spoke eloquently about the need for us to support and encourage each other. She made a lasting impression on me.

Keep her family and friends in your prayers.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

That's all from me this morning. I'm turning the meeting over to you. I promise to get myself together and start cooking and crafting again real soon.

Ok, now I gotta go to work! It's time to make the aprons.


6 comments:

Vee said...

A fortune cookie? That's it? :D Okay, I know that next week there'll be something more substantial so I'll hold out until then.

I was so sorry to read about your friend. Here in Blogdom, we like to think that blogs and bloggers go on forever. What a reality check to see that we live under the same circumstances that everyone else does. Praying for Annie's family and her family of readers even now.

Get plenty of rest, Suzanne. Hope that you're feeling better real soon.

Off to follow a link...

Vee said...

Link doesn't seem to be working...I'll Google.

Thirkellgirl said...

I'm fighting off a cold/allergies myself and I can't taste anything anyhow, so plastic-wrapped cookies are fine with me. Thanks for the cool link!

Lisa D. said...

I share some leftover pumpkin pie at the staff meeting. This weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving and dinner was here at our place yesterday. There's not a lot of turkey leftover, with this "meatatarian" family and two husbands (mine and his cousin) who need leftovers to take to work, but there is some pie left just for you Suzanne.
Loved the barn sale too. Wish we had more of that kind of stuff here.

MelissaD said...

Feel better soon!
I have no leftovers at all since I have a teenage son at home - everything disappears. Last week he ate an entire cake by himself over a few days!
Thanks for the Culinary District link - I love to cook and bake and can and have a great time in stores like these - with real stuff, not overpriced foo-foo things. I'll have to be good and not actually buy for now either - hubby is still unemployed after a year.

I Wonder Wye said...

We live outside of LR and I have been going to Hot Springs for years. Love it. I've been cooking up a storm, and posting about it so I guess we are on the same track. Hope you're feeling better. And I am very sorry to hear of your friend's death...