Saturday, April 14, 2012

Crazy for British

Yes, I'm crazy for British..... period pieces on Netflix, that is. I've mentioned this before and I know that at least some of you are addicted to Downton Abbey. Gotta love that costuming! Has the second season started? I don't believe that the service we have from Dish TV includes the series. I've watched it on Netflix and I'm dying for the second season to be posted.

 My computer is located in my sewing room and I have movies or series on whilst I'm working. Without more Downton I switched to Catherine Cookson stories. Gosh, she's quite a prolific writer with some interesting story lines. I never realized how many cads there were back then, men of good breeding bringing their *b@$#%ard children home for their wives to raise. Yikes. Where was women's lib when you needed it? I recommend her stories The Rag Nymph and Fifteen Streets. Actually, actor Owen Teale is in both The Fifteen streets and Island at War.

 Then I found an interesting sounding series entitled, Island at War. This was about one of the channel islands between France and Great Britain. The Germans took control of the island, viewing it as a stepping stone on their way to invade Great Britain. I was completely drawn in to the storyline and it's attempt to show that some of the bad guys were actually everyday people caught up in the machinations of war. The people of the island were forced to find a way to live in close proximity with the invaders.

I watched the series for hours and hours, getting to know the characters and admire the actors. The episodes for Season 1 ended and I couldn't wait to see what happened to Gerhardt and the young island girl and Hannah and the German officer who was shocked to learn that she was actually Jewish. This was after he became obsessed with her. As with all good series the final episode of Season 1 left some suspense.

Back to Netflix I went to search for Season 2. Doesn't exist!! Really. I'm going crazy here. Reading the reviews and comments I discover that after the first season the writer died! The hell you say. It's impossible to believe that they couldn't have found a talented writer to continue the series. I'm left to create my own storyline and that's not quite as interesting as the twists and turns that a good writer could provide.

Around this house the Farmer will not watch any TV show, series or mini-series that "is to be continued". You get the whole story out in one shot or he's not watching. HA. As for the British period pieces, I've been watching so many that I've developed a definited British accent and have begun referring to my deceased father as "Da".

 

8 comments:

Becky said...

I've got the same love for the BBC productions. I have watched "Land Girls"....no second season.....boo!
Today I started "Elizabeth R". Six episodes. I watched "Middlemarch" and really liked it, too. Try it. I had read the book before and knew the story, so I figured I would like it, and I did. I sure enjoy my Netflix!

Cheryl said...

Suzanne, have you watched the Lark Rise to Candleford BBC series? You'll enjoy three seasons of this heartwarming series. My husband loves it, too. It's different than Downton, but still that British thing we like so well. My British friend also recommended the Doc Martin series that takes place in the Cornwall area. Let me know what you think of these.

Vee said...

You'd best be careful or you'll be adopting the Farmer's stance. I would be sooooo upset about the writer who died. I loved Lark Rise to Candleford. It's a completed series (that could have gone on forever...silly writers thought it was over). Have you tried that one?

Vee said...

Oh...I didn't read Cheryl's comment. I see that we are thinking alike!

Anonymous said...

If you want to see a funny British comedy watch IT Crowd.

Terri said...

In the days when you could browse the movies in a store, I found a lovely movie about fairies. Watched it over and over. I love the Brit comedies on PBS. Maybe you should start in writing the "rest of the story"... Do some background research... You are already a wonderful writer!!!!
Hugs!

renae said...

Ah Downton. I devoured series one, two and the Christmas special in a week and am eagerly waiting for season 3 in September!
Have you seen the BBCs three part sense and sensibility? it has the guy who plays Matthew in Downton in it and it's wonderful!

Fisher said...

In the days when you could browse the movies in a store, I found a lovely movie about fairies. Watched it over and over. I love the Brit comedies on PBS. Maybe you should start in writing the "rest of the story"... Do some background research... You are already a wonderful writer!!!! Hugs!