Monday, May 28, 2012

Remembrance

We just returned from a wonderful last minute trip down to visit our daughter. More about that later.

I wanted to remember my father and all the other family members who served in the U.S. military. One interesting fact about my father is that he was on the U.S.S. Burke in the Sea of Japan when the Japanese surrendered in World War II. He was one of the ship's cooks so I'm pretty sure he was below decks cooking meals. But still.... it's pretty cool that he was there during this historic moment.



3 comments:

Our Hopeful Home said...

Very cool, indeed. My dad was Army Air Force reconnaisance in Italy. We're so very lucky that they chose to fight for us all. Happy Memorial Day!

Terri said...

My Dad was in England fixing air planes.
Hugs!

Anonymous said...

My dad was also a cook during WWII. He was in the Army Air Corps. So very proud of him for serving our country. I once was talking to an old WWII veteran and he asked me what my dad did in the war....when I told him he was a cook he made some rude remark about him being a cook!!! It hurt me to the core and it still does, for him to be disrespected by a fellow veteran was very hurtful. Maybe it was old age, but still made me feel bad.